You have decided to start your blog with WordPress, the next step will be to set up it properly. It order to set up your WordPress blog, the first thing you will have to do is to select a theme, which looks good and suits your need. Therefore, it’s important that you choose the right theme.
In this article, we will see few tips that will help you in selecting a SEO friendly WordPress theme. Before we go through those tips, let us go through the basics of SEO in short.
Search engine optimization for a WordPress blog or for any website or blog, can be divided into two parts.
First one is, on site or on page optimization, and the second is off-page optimization.
In this article, we will be discussing the on-page optimization. The on-page optimization can be further divided into two parts: Content Optimization and WordPress blog optimization.
Content optimization deals with optimizing the content of a particular page for search engines and that can be achieved with the help of SEO plugins for WordPress.
The second one is WordPress blog optimization, this will include things like User interface and design, meta data, rich snippets, and crawl ability. Most of this can be achieved by having an SEO friendly WordPress themes.
So by now, we know that there are numerous factors responsible for search engine rankings and one of them is a Properly SEO optimized WordPress themes.
In this article, We have shared 7 important tips to help you in selecting your next SEO friendly WordPress theme.
These are the 7 important factors you should consider while choosing a WordPress theme, So that you end up choosing the Best SEO friendly WordPress theme. Later we have also shared some famous WordPress theme provider from where you can get your SEO optimized WordPress theme.
7 Characteristics of a SEO friendly WordPress theme
- Code is clean and fast enough: Code plays an important role. Whenever an user visits your WordPress blog, lots of code from your WordPress theme is executed at the back-end, if the code is not optimized and well written it will lead to increase in load time of pages, which is a no-no for SEO, and remember a small mistake in code can be very costly for you, read an experience here from yoast. If the code is not written properly it can cause problems for search engine crawlers while crawling your pages for indexing.
- Simple Layouts: Go For simple and user friendly layouts, don’t go for sophisticated layouts where a user will have difficulty in finding the content, they are looking for and which makes navigation on the site difficult, a user should be able to find other related pages easily and it also improves the conversion rate (if there are too many options the user will be confused).
- Schema Markups: Schema Markups help search engines in identifying various things on your pages, They tell Search engines where is the header, sidebar, footer and most important the content, So always go for themes which have Schema Markups. With the help of schema Markup, Search engines will be able to find the content on pages easily. Schema Markup also helps search engines in identifying the content type like it’s a review or a blog post.
- Go for themes which provide most of the functionality you will be using: Prefer themes which provide most of the functionality you will like to use. For Ex: If you will be using social media sharing buttons choose a theme which does have social media buttons because if you add a plugin for it, the plugin will increase the load time of your pages. It’s always good if you can avoid plugins and can have the functionality in your theme itself.
- Responsive: If it’s not responsive, Just don’t use it as number of visitors from mobile and other devices is increasing and you can’t avoid them, Google uses responsiveness of a blog as a signal while ranking pages now in the search engines, Therefore it’s must that the theme is responsive.
- Optimized For Speed: If it is optimized for speed, you can check it once using various available tools.
If a WordPress theme follows the above criteria, we can term it as an SEO friendly WordPress theme and you can go for them.
Now we have a list of SEO friendly themes to help you in buying your next theme.
Best SEO Friendly WordPress Themes
1.Genesis by StudioPress
The First recommendation in SEO friendly WordPress theme will be Framework “Genesis” by StudioPress, It is used by some of the known bloggers like problogger,geekbeat, and more than 1,34,000 WordPress websites and in terms of SEO friendliness and speed nothing can compete Genesis. It’s highly customizable and is suitable for every type of blogs and websites. You can easily get genesis developers to customize your blog and in case if you can make changes by yourself, you can easily find hundreds of genesis tutorials to do it yourself.
- Search Engine Optimized
- Takes minimum time to load
- Schema Markups
- Mobile Friendly (Responsive uses HTML5)
- Genesis Framework costs $59
- Genesis Framework + Genesis Child theme costs $99
- Genesis Pro Plus Package costs $499 which includes 40+ WordPress Themes
- You can buy the genesis framework only and use any genesis child theme with it.
DIYThemes commonly known as Thesis in the WordPress world, Thesis is one of the famous WordPress Theme providers and is widely used by bloggers, thesis has about 55,000+ users. Thesis and genesis are competitors of each other and it’s debatable which one of them is better, both have a huge difference the way they work and functionality they provide and developers keep comparing them always, if you are not satisfied with genesis you can go with thesis.
- Optimized for Search engine
- Responsive (Mobile friendly)
- Visual template editor (Modify your theme without coding)
- Schema Markups
- The basic membership will cost $87
- Best deal will be to buy the Professional membership which costs $197 with lifetime membership.
Elegant Themes is one of the famous WordPress theme providers and they have some nice collection of themes. Their recent themes, Divi and Extra are fabulous and the themes got good feedback from the users. Both of these themes are suitable for most of the WordPress blogs and in case if you wish to use some other design. Elegant Themes currently have 87 themes and a buyer can purchase from the available three membership options i.e, personal, developer and lifetime. I have personally bought a lifetime membership with them, under which I had to pay only once and I got access to their each and every theme and plugin.
Schema is a WordPress theme from MyThemeShop, Developers of the theme “schema” claim it is the fastest loading WordPress theme.
- Optimized for speed
- Optimized for search engines
- Rich Snippets
- Schema Markups
- Theme will cost you around $69
Sahifa is a Popular WordPress theme by tielabs. The theme is used by about 14000+ bloggers from different niche because of it’s features,you can use it almost for any type of WordPress based blog.
- Optimized for Speed
- Optimized For Search Engines
- Responsive and retina ready
- Schema SEO Rich Snippet Review Microdata
- Adsense ready
- Mega Menu
- Off-Canvas Mobile Navigation
- Ajax Live search
- Custom Page templates
- Theme will cost you $58
- Best for blogs, news and magazines
These were some of our selected SEO friendly WordPress Theme recommendations, the list may go on…so in case if you are not satisfied with these themes, The WordPress community is huge. Best of luck with your search for the best WordPress theme for SEO.